william chambliss ): http :// people W r i t i n g
Bonus points: Discussion board postings: Students who post their original responses to the discussion boardprompts at least a day before the due date, will earn 2bonus points per discussion board.
Take advantage of this! These points will be tallied for a maximum of 2% bonus for the course.
Topic: Power, Conformity, Deviance (chapters 5 and 6) Before you start this discussion you will need to have read through chapters 5 and 6. You will need to apply what you have learned from these chapters to this discussion.
Read these articles:
1) The Saints and the Roughnecks (William Chambliss): http://people.morrisville.edu/~reymers/readings/soci101/saints_and_the_roughnecks-chambliss.pdf (Links to an external site.)
2) Confessions of a Former Bastard Cop: https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759 (Links to an external site.)
3) The Catholic Church’s grim history of ignoring priestlyl pedophilia–and silencing would-be whistle blowers. https://theconversation.com/the-catholic-churchs-grim-history-of-ignoring-priestly-pedophilia-and-silencing-would-be-whistleblowers-102387 (Links to an external site.)
Watch (Trigger warning: sexual violence, unlawful detainment, physical abuse) : Louise Ogborn McDonald’s detainment case.
Respond to these prompts: Separate out your responses to each prompt into a separate paragraphs.
1. What main points from the powerpoint/lecture/text stand out as related to article one? Briefly discuss two main points/theories/concepts/ or terms related from the chapters so far. (2 points) Bold your terms/theories/concepts
2. Briefly discuss article 2 and 3 and note what are the unifying themes (based on our material this week). How different are these issues from individual deviance and or individual conformity? Briefly discuss what ideas you have about institutional/social changes that are necessary to address the topic(s) you selected. (3 points) Bold your terms/theories/concepts
3. What are your thoughts about the McDonald’s video? From your reading of the course material/lecture, etc., what factors contributed to this situation? Try to think beyond disposition (like he’s a bad guy) (1 points)
4. Pose a question to fellow students regarding the material. (1 point)
4. Engage with 3 other students with sociological discussion! (3 points)