wall street journal article B u s i n e s s F i n a n c e
The ABC Company has been engaged in the practice of [topic] for some time and that practice seems to have worked well. Recently, a new CEO was hired, and she has requested a top-to-bottom review of all such practices. To get a complete picture of [topic] you have been assigned to support (For) or refute (Against) that topic. You have been asked to create a persuasive message espousing the assigned position. You have not been asked to suggest any actions, only why ABC Company should or should not engage in the practice of [topic].
*Defending For* the Topic: Companies should be forced to provide health care to part-time employees. There are 2 parts to the project.
You will need to find at least 3 credible sources (Example: scholarly journal articles, pewreserach.org, Wall Street Journal article)
Write a memo to me in the proper memo format (see Canvas for this format). The final memo should be about 2.5-3 pages in business format (not including your references on a References page at the end of your report). Business format is a 12-point font, left-justified text, no indented paragraphs, and a line space between each paragraph.
- Your memo should contain the following sections:
- Start with an opening paragraph stating the purpose of the memo – why you are writing this.
- About XXXX: Provide a short description of the topic and why it is controversial.
- Position: Briefly discuss your position on the topic and tell me why you believe this.
- Research: Discuss the current research that supports your position. This section must summarize data from your sources.
- State who conducted the research, the sample size, and what the findings were.
- This can be a few paragraphs as needed.
- Include in-text citations in APA format. (Go online and look up how to do in-text citations and references in APA format).
- Include two charts and/or graphs and interpret them. Refer to them within your report. You must show evidence that you understand the information being conveyed in the charts/graphs and how it supports your position.
- Conclusion: Summarize the importance of the topic and restate your position. This is where your persuasive messaging skills matter.
- End with a paragraph that tells me how to reach you if I have questions.
- Use section titles in bold to denote the sections of your memo (e.g., About, Position, Research, Conclusion). Your intro paragraph and last paragraph do not need a section title.
- Part 2:
- Create a PowerPoint presentation that you will present in 5 minutes.
- Organize your presentation in the same way you organized the memo you wrote for the written assignment. Therefore, you will likely have the following sections:
- Agenda (this is your agenda of what you will be speaking about)
- About XXXX
- Research (as many as needed)
- You only have 5 minutes, so keep your slides to a minimum and go through them quickly.
- Refer to the lecture on Principles for Effective PowerPoint Design.