visual analysis guidelines documents provided W r i t i n g
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
The enduring relevance of the arts and humanities is that they encourage us to consider a number of “big ideas.” What is culture? How do we go about studying it? What is the relationship between works of art and the culture in which they are created? How is human meaning generated through artworks?
In this Short Answer, you will use the ideas you have studied throughout the course in addition to the insights you have gained from your deep thinking about your chosen work(s) of art from the WORKSHEET and discussion forums to discuss why humans are driven to express themselves in so many ways. You will draw conclusions about the reciprocal relationship between forms of expression and the context in which they are created and experienced. Finally, you will explain how you believe human creative expression can impact issues we deal with today.
Following critical elements must be addressed:
- Explain why you believe humans have a need to express themselves through created artworks? Explain the larger human need to express using the insights you gained from studying your chosen work(s) of art.
- Explain how you think the act of human creative expression impacts and is impacted by the culture in which it was created. Explain the larger reciprocal relationship between human creative expression and the culture in which it was created using the insights you gained from studying your chosen work(s) of art.
- Explain how you believe human creative expression can impact issues we deal with today. Be sure to be specific about the issues you are addressing. Use the insights you gained from studying your chosen artwork(s) and explain how creative expression can impact today’s issues.
Responses have to be numbered.
Provide artwork examples to support your claims.
Do not forget to provide images and used sources at the end your essay.
Short Answer has to be submitted in word or pdf format only.
REALISM IN EUROPE and UNITED STATES
- Focusing on the period and styles covered by this unit, identify a particular visual work of art that inspires you, not just visually but intellectually. You may choose an artist and work discussed in your readings and videos, but you are not limited to these options. Briefly research the background of the artist (the artist’s social and cultural life, the artist’s influences, etc., if applicable) and the work itself. Your post should be as original as possible.
- How does the piece you chose express the features of its style movement or period? Be sure to include your thoughts on what you feel was a primary influence for the artist in developing the piece. Pay special attention to the EVALUATION of the artwork (How would you evaluate this work of art? Where does its value lie?).
- Try to describe, analyze, interpret and evaluate the chosen artwork to the best of your abilities, using knowledge you have acquired throughout this week, and using WRITING AN ART CRITIQUE and VISUAL ANALYSIS GUIDELINES documents provided under Module 1. Ensure that your choice was created in the time frames identified here.
- Respond to classmates’ posts that have focused on different works of art than the one you chose. Compare your chosen work with theirs. You have to respond to at least two of your peers for a full credit. All your posts should be as substantive and substantial as possible.
For a full credit: Initial post (at least 200 words in length)