transitions depends heavily upon top managerial understanding W r i t i n g
You are a passionate performance management consultant. Because of your expertise in performance management, you have been hired by the CEO of a large company to change a performance appraisal system to a performance management system. Because you are experienced in bringing about such transitions, you know better than anyone else that the success of such transitions depends heavily upon top managerial understanding of and support for the performance management system at hand. Thanks to your skills, you have managed to educate the top management of your client’s firm and correct their mistaken belief of equating performance appraisal with performance management.
Despite the clarified understanding of performance management, the top management team is still a hard sell, and they remain skeptical about whether your proposed performance management system is any different or more effective than the performance appraisal system that the company has had in place for decades. To make matters worse, the prevailing attitude across all levels of the organization seems to be characterized by the commonly heard statement: “We have been doing this for a long time, and it seems to work just fine.” Moreover, one of the managers has challenged your plan by voicing his concern that a performance management system might create or increase the demands (such as excessive paperwork) on managers’ and employees’ time and resources.
- Explain the difference between Performance Appraisal and Performance Management.
- Describe at least four general strategies you would take to convince the client firm that the benefits of implementing a performance management system will far outweigh the costs and difficulties associated with the transition from a performance appraisal to a performance management system.
- For each strategy listed, provide sufficient detail so that the firm can implement your suggested strategies.
- Write a 4- to 6-page paper, or about 1200 to 1800 words, not including the title and reference pages, which are required.
- For this assignment, refer to the website entitled Writing an Effective Essay (Links to an external site.).
- You can download and save the APA Template Paper (Links to an external site.) as your own paper and replace the placeholders with your own information. This template is already formatted in APA style according to the CSU Global Writing Center (Links to an external site.). Do not change the formatting of this template.
- This is an individual paper; however, you should reflect on our discussion forums and incorporate ideas from there, as appropriate.
- Include a formal references page. You must support your analysis with at least 4 to 6 scholarly references and can include resources from this course. Your paper must be properly cited and formatted according to the CSU Global Writing Center (Links to an external site.) APA standards.
- The CSU Global Library (Links to an external site.) is a good place to find these sources. You cannot use Wikipedia or any CSU Global assignment. For this assignment, a credible source is defined as a:
- scholarly or peer-reviewed journal article.
- government-based website or publication.
- trade or industry journal article, publication, or website, including those from trade organizations such as SHRM.org and TD.org.