think many people might W r i t i n g
I’m working on a writing report and need support to help me learn.
Choose four of the questions below to answer in your initial post. You can choose any three from the six options to answer. Remember each of the four questions needs to be 100-250 words (see Guidelines below).
- Why do you think psychology courses like this one are often requirements of so many different programs of study?
- Why do you think many people might be skeptical about psychology being a science?
- In general, behaviorist psychology is concerned with behaviors and actions. The belief is that our actions and behaviors are based on reinforcement and punishment, meaning we do things we’re praised and rewarded for and stop doing things we’re punished for or told not to do. According to behaviorism, why we do or don’t do something is because of conditioning and not about who we “are” or our thoughts and feelings. What do you think about this? Do you think we are who we are and behave how we do because we’ve been conditioned or because of something else like our “personalities”?
- Peer review is an important part of publishing research findings in many scientific disciplines. This process is normally conducted anonymously; in other words, the author of the article being reviewed does not know who is reviewing the article, and the reviewers are unaware of the author’s identity. Why would this be an important part of this process?
- The scientific method is often described as self-correcting and cyclical. Briefly describe your understanding of the scientific method with regard to these concepts.
- Some argue that animal research is inherently flawed in terms of being ethical because unlike human participants, animals do not consent to be involved in research. Do you agree with this perspective? Given that animals do not consent to be involved in research projects, what sorts of extra precautions should be taken to ensure that they receive the most humane treatment possible?