sustaining high performing teams requires human resource personnel H e a l t h M e d i c a l
For the Human Resources: Strategy and Competitive Advantage assessment you will develop a 3-5-page report that analyzes an organization’s current workforce compared to predicted future needs. The report should also include an analysis as to how human resources can provide a competitive advantage.
Workforce planning occurs when organizational hiring managers work alongside their organization’s human resource department to forecast staffing needs and develop a plan to meet those needs (Longest & Darr, 2014). To support many of the initiatives identified via the strategic planning process, talent must be developed within the organization, or recruited into the organization. The planning process includes identifying the organization’s talent needs, followed by an identification of the competencies, values, and behaviors required for effective performance. The workforce of the organization is often one of the largest competitive advantages the organization has and it must be valued, cultivated, and maintained.
Human resource management is the process by which an organization identifies, selects, trains, and manages their workforce. Due to a shortage of health care professionals and clinicians, a significant challenge faced by health care organizations is attracting and retaining highly qualified and competent individuals (Healey & Marchese, 2012). Building and creating high performing teams is important, as the industry is in need of individuals who can overcome obstacles and respond quickly to the rapidly changing environment. Attributes of high performing teams include trust, accountability, communication, and collaboration (Hakanen & Soudunsaari, 2012). Developing and sustaining high performing teams requires human resource personnel to ensure effective strategies are in place to recruit and retain individuals who can meet the rigorous demands of the industry. An organization successful at creating these teams is capable of transforming themselves into a high reliability organization in which patients are treated and serviced with minimal compromise to quality or patient safety.
Hakanen, M., & Soudunsaari, A. (2012). Building trust in high-performing teams. Technology Innovation Management Review, 2(6), 38–41.
Healey, B. J., & Marchese, M. C. (2012). Foundations of health care management: Principles and methods. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Longest, B. B., & Darr, K. (2014). Managing health services organizations and systems (6th ed.). Baltimore, MD: Health Professions Press.
Demonstration of Proficiency
- Competency 2: Apply theories and best practices in human resource and workforce management to solve organizational issues in health care systems.
- Analyze the current workforce in comparison to the needs of the future.
- Describe ideal staffing plans for the organization based upon understanding of future needs.
- Explain implications for the organization’s future if the workforce is unable to accommodate and support the needs of the organization.
- Analyze how human resources can be seen as a competitive advantage within the organization.
- Competency 3: Analyze the components of high performance teams to enable the achievement of the departmental strategic vision.
- Identify appropriate measures to evaluate and determine the success of the newly implemented staffing plan.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and respectful of the diversity, dignity, and integrity of others and is consistent with health care professionals.
- Demonstrate effective communication through writing and proper use of APA style.
- Communicate in a professional and effective manner by writing content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
This assessment is based upon the scenario presented in the Vila Health: Human Resources media simulation. Be sure you have completed this activity before you begin your assessment.
It may be helpful to consider the following as you work through the simulation:
- What is the current state of the workforce in compare to the needs of the future in the simulation?
- What should be an ideal staffing plan to consider?
- How can human resources be seen as a competitive advantage within the organization?
- What could be the implications of not addressing the organization’s workforce as it relates to its strategic goals identified for the future of the organization?
- What are three measures you would implement to determine whether the new human resource staffing plan has effectively met the needs of the organization?
Human resources are those individuals with specialized skills and commitment to deliver health services. Strategic human resource planning enables organizations to support their master strategic plan by ensuring the organization is equipped from a human capital perspective to meet future demands.
For this assessment, put yourself in the role of a leader at St. Anthony Medical Center. You are making a report regarding your observations and analysis in the wake of what happened in the Vila Health media simulation related to this assessment.
This assessment can be organized into 2 parts:
- Part 1: Comparison of Current Workforce to Future Needs.
- Part 2: Staffing Plan and Competitive Advantage.
Part 1: Comparison of Current Workforce to Future Needs
For this part, present your analysis of St. Anthony Medical Center’s (SAMC) current state and preparedness with regard to their workforce. Additionally, comment briefly on how this compares to the needs and gaps you noted in the media scenario.
As you complete this part, it may be helpful to consider the following:
- What is the capacity now based upon current staffing?
- What is the current state of the workforce in compare to the needs of the future for SAMC?
- What issues will be caused by the difference between current and future staffing capacity?â€‹
Part 2: Staffing Plan and Competitive Advantage
For this part of the assessment, you will present an ideal staffing plan based upon your analysis of the media simulation. Your plan should include measures that can be used to judge its success. Additionally, to help illustrate your plan’s importance and benefits to SAMC, present a compelling argument about what impact it may have on the organization if your staffing plan is not adopted, as well as the benefits of creating a competitive advantage through human resources.
As you complete this part of your assessment, it may be helpful to consider:
- What should be an ideal staffing plan to consider (more staff, less staff, or a diversified workforce, etcetera)?
- What can the future staffing model do for the organization?
- What three measures would you implement to determine whether the new human resource staffing plan has effectively met the needs of the organization?
- How might the organization be impacted moving forward if workforce issues are not addressed?
- How could this impact the organization’s ability to meet strategic goals?
- What is a competitive advantage?
- How can human resources become an advantage for an organization within the industry?
- Structure: Include a title page, table of contents, and reference page.
- Length: 3–5 pages.
- References: Cite at least three current scholarly or professional resources.
- Format: Use APA style for references and citations.
- You may wish to refer to the following APA resources to help with your structure, formatting, and style:
- Font: Times New Roman font, 12 point, double-spaced for narrative portions only.
Place this order or similar order and get an amazing discount. USE Discount code “GET20” for 20% discount