striations get closer together ), vocal fold fohas H e a l t h M e d i c a l
Please see attached.Must be a speech pathologist major and be familiar with speech and hearing science..
- Complex periodic signals will have _______________________ spectra. Complex aperiodic signals will have _________________________ spectra.
- The Intensity Level (IL) of a sound having a value of 1 x 10-15 W/cm2is ____ dB relative to the standard reference power. The standard reference power for dB IL is __________________________.
- A sound reaching a sound level meter is 0.0001 dynes/cm2. The Sound Pressure Level (SPL) of this signal is _________________________. The standard reference pressure for dB SPL is ________________________.
- Two 50 dB IL pure tones are presented at 100 Hz and 4000 Hz, respectively. Which tone will the listener perceive as louder? ( 100 Hz Tone, 4000 Hz Tone, Neither Tone)
- Two pure tones are separated by 100 Hz. The perceived difference in pitch would be greater ( ABOVE / BELOW)1000 Hz.
- The unit of relative loudness is the _____________________.
- The unit of pitch is the ____________________.
- The international unit of frequency is _____________________.
- The unit of relative intensity is _____________________.
- The spacing of F1 and F2 is greatest for which American English vowel? _____ Why? ___________________________________________________________
- What reference pressure would be required for a 0 dB sound to represent “true” silence? __________________________
- If a speaker produces the diphthong /ɔɪ/at a constant fundamental frequency of 250 Hz. Which of the following has/have changed during the production? (VOCAL TRACT TRANSFER FUNCTION / GLOTTAL SOURCE / BOTH GLOTTAL SOURCE AND VOCAL TRACT TRANSFER FUNCTION / NEITHER GLOTTAL SOURCE OR VOCAL TRACT TRANSFER FUNCTION).
- If a speaker produces the vowel /ɔ/ two times at folevels of 100 Hz and 200 Hz, which of the following has changed between the two productions? (VOCAL TRACT TRANSFER FUNCTION / GLOTTAL SOURCE / BOTH GLOTTAL SOURCE AND VOCAL TRACT TRANSFER FUNCTION / NEITHER GLOTTAL SOURCE OR VOCAL TRACT TRANSFER FUNCTION).
- If a speaker produces the vowels /u/ at 250 Hz and /a/ at 225 Hz, which of the following has changed between productions? (VOCAL TRACT TRANSFER FUNCTION / GLOTTAL SOURCE / BOTH GLOTTAL SOURCE AND VOCAL TRACT TRANSFER FUNCTION / NEITHER GLOTTAL SOURCE OR VOCAL TRACT TRANSFER FUNCTION).
- A spectrogram displays ____________________ on the ordinate (Y-axis); ____________________ on the abscissa (X-axis), and ____________________ by the relative darkness of the markings. The preferred standard frequency range selected for most speech analyses is between _______ and ________ Hz.
- A power spectrum is a spectrographic display of ____________________ and ______________________ at some point in time.
- A narrow band analysis provides improved __________________ resolution while a wide band analysis provides better __________________ resolution.
- Formant frequencies will be evident on a _____________________ spectrogram. Harmonics will be revealed on a __________________________ spectrogram.
- Voiced sounds will have vertical striations on a ______________________ spectrogram. These striations represent _________________________________________. If the spacing of vertical striations decreases (that is, the striations get closer together), vocal fold fohas (INCREASED, DECREASED, REMAINED RELATIVELY CONSTANT). If the spacing of vertical striations increases (that is, the striations get father apart), fohas (INCREASED, DECREASED, REMAINED RELATIVELY CONSTANT)revealing that vocal fold stiffness has ____________________ and vocal fold mass has ____________________.
- Voice Onset Time (VOT) measurements are made on a _________________________ spectrogram. Briefly define VOT.
- Voiced stops have (LONGER / SHORTER)VOTs than voiceless stops.
- Describe how you would identify the following from a spectrogram (be sure to identify thetype of spectrographic displayyou would need to examine).
- Two acoustic features of vocal roughness which can be observed on a spectrogram are ____________________ and ____________________.
- Two acoustic measures that are believed to reflect the short-term stabilityof vocal fold vibration are: ______________________ and ___________________________.
- An acoustic measure/analysis that can provide a reliable measure of the stability of vocal fold vibration even in voices characterized by severe hoarsenessis ___________________________.
- During the closed phase of (VOICED / UNVOICED)stops you often see evidence of vocal fold vibration at the bottom of the spectrogram. This is known as a(n) ___________________________.
- Voiced sounds will have vertical striations on a spectrogram. The dark vertical striation reflects the (CLOSED / OPEN)phase of vocal fold vibration and the white portion in between the vertical striations represents the (CLOSED / OPEN)phase of vocal fold vibration.
Such a change would be seen best on a(WIDE BAND / NARROW BAND) spectrogram.
Identify the type of spectra that will result for:
The phoneme /m/ _____________________________
The phoneme /s/ _____________________________
The phoneme /z/ _____________________________
- Evidence of an unstable supra-laryngeal vocal tract during a sustained phonation task ________________________________________________________
- Evidence of unstable vocal fold vibration during sustained vowel production
- Evidence of inter-harmonic energy during sustained vowel production.
PART I. Complete the following statements. (fill in the blanks or circle the appropriate
response in parentheses) (80 points)
- The frequencies at which the vocal tract “filter” permits maximum energy transfer are called _____________________________. They will appear on a wide band spectrogram as ____________________________.
- A sinusoidal waveform, like any simple harmonic motion, can be completely specified if three parameters are known: _________________________, _________________________, and _________________________.
- An amplitude waveform displays _______________________ as a function of _________________________. An amplitude spectrum displays _________________________ as a function of ________________________.
PART 2 IS ATTACHED ALONG WITH POWERPOINTS