“ seafood watch ”, sustainable fisheriesthe purposes W r i t i n g
“Seafood Watch”, Sustainable Fisheries
The purposes of this assignment are to:
1) introduce you to the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch fish and shellfish guidelines and the criteria that are used to categorize species,
2) increase your understanding of how various fish/shellfish species are caught and/or farmed, and
3) increase your understanding and awareness of the current status of several fish/shellfish species that are fished commercially.
Copies of the Seafood Watch Guide for all states are found here, (Links to an external site.)and additional information can be found at the Seafood Watch link. (Links to an external site.)It is important that only the “West Coast (Links to an external site.)” versions of the guide are used for this assignment.
An app is now available here (Links to an external site.).
Referring to the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s West Coast (Links to an external site.), answer the questions below in full sentences.
The Seafood Watch website (Links to an external site.) and the aquarium’s Turning the Tide: The State of Seafood (Links to an external site.)report may be used as resources. You will likely need to use additional published material (print and/or online) to satisfactorily complete this assignment. Please remember that ALL sources must be cited correctly.
Reminder: Cutting/Pasting information directly from websites is PLAGIARISM. Use websites as resources and then answer the following questions IN YOUR OWN WORDS.
Plagiarized information will result in a score of zero on this assignment, and a submittal of a report to DVC.
- List and BRIEFLY describe the THREE classification categories used on the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Guides (Links to an external site.).
- Select one species from each of the three categories above and
- Describe why this species is in this category. Use this guide (Links to an external site.) to learn about your selected species and why it is listed as either a best choice, a good alternative, or a species to avoid
- Describe the fishing and/or farming techniques used to harvest this species.
- Briefly describe the life history of the species. You may need to use other resources to answer this prompt.
- Some types of seafood are considered “sustainable.” Define and BRIEFLY describe “Sustainable Seafood.”
- Explain why Shrimp (other imported sources) is on the “Avoid” list, while Shrimp (US farmed) is on the “Best Choices” list.
- Provide a list of references (a “works cited”) for the information resources you have used while completing this assignment. Citations should be listed alphabetically by the last name of the first author. Articles MUST be cited according to APA. See the following URL for APA citation instructions for online sources.
Place this order or similar order and get an amazing discount. USE Discount code “GET20” for 20% discount