researchers call “ millennials ”, B u s i n e s s F i n a n c e
“A Day Without Electronic Media”
We live in a media saturated world, yet most of us don’t consider the effect it has on our lives. According to Danna Walker, Professor of Communications at American University, “Many of you are what researchers call “millennials”, those born between 1980 and 2000. Your generation will constitute the largest generation in American history. You will outnumber baby boomers by as much as 33%. Most of you grew up with computers and television in your home. You started life with VCR’s, CD’s, digital video, and MP3s. You were the first generation to link up to cell phones, instant messaging, and texting. Personal computers came of age when you were born and you grew up with the World Wide Web and e-mail. Not to mention Nintendo, Game Boy, Sony PlayStation, GameCube and Xbox. Yet although you are emotionally attached, educated, and savvy consumers of electronic media you don’t think much about it.”
- For this assignment students will go without the use of electronic media for 12 hours.
- Your 12 hour span starts the moment you wake up and continues straight for 12 hours. At the end of your 12 hour “shift” you can use whatever media you like.
- At the end of this time students will write a 3-page paper detailing their experience and feelings regarding the experience.
- Students must discuss how they spent their day
- Students must discuss how the absence of electronic media effected their communication with others. I want details.
- Students must discuss feelings, reactions, and thoughts regarding their day and the assignment.
- No late papers will be accepted for any reason. If you slip up or cheat you must start the 12 hours over again.
- I will know from reading your papers whether or not you really did the assignment. There are certain tell tale signs of those who really did it and those who fake it and try to write it like they think it should sound.
- If you fake it, I will give you an F.
- All papers must be a minimum of three full pages
- Proper format, spelling and grammar count
- Place your name, class name, instructor name, date and assignment name on your paper
- Must be typed, 12 point font, APA or MLA format, have a title page
So, what do you have to go without? Here’s the list:
No cell phones
No VCR, DVD, DVR, TiVo etc… (Although you can set them up the night before to record what you’ll miss in your 12 hours and watch it after your shift is over)
No CD’s, iTunes, Spotify etc..
No AM/FM radio, no satellite radio
No Ipod or MP3 or like devices
No video games, or hand held games or like devices
Computers of any kind, e-mail, instant messaging, texting, cell phone, or like devices
If you have any questions please e-mail me and ask!