longstanding statutory firewall language protecting W r i t i n g
In this assignment, you will learn more about the Voice of America (Links to an external site.), as well as recent challenges to the VOA firewall.
- first, here is the mission and “firewall” statement from the VOA site (Links to an external site.):
Mission and Values
Voice of America (VOA) is the largest U.S. international broadcaster, providing news and information in more than 40 languages to an estimated weekly audience of more than 280 million people. VOA produces content for digital, television, and radio platforms. It is easily accessed via your mobile phone and on social media. It is also distributed by satellite, cable, FM and MW, and is carried on a network of more than 2,500 affiliate stations.
Since its creation in 1942, Voice of America has been committed to providing comprehensive coverage of the news and telling audiences the truth. Through World War II, the Cold War, the fight against global terrorism, and the struggle for freedom around the globe today, VOA exemplifies the principles of a free press.
VOA is part of the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM), the government agency that oversees all non-military, U.S. international broadcasting. It is funded by the U.S. Congress.
An essential guarantee of the journalistic credibility of Voice of America content is the “firewall (Links to an external site.)” enshrined in the 1994 U.S. International Broadcasting Act. The firewall prohibits interference by any U.S. government official in the objective, independent reporting of news, thereby safeguarding the ability of our journalists to develop content that reflects the highest professional standards of journalism, free of political interference. USAGM reforms contained in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year 2017 maintained the longstanding statutory firewall language protecting the professional independence of VOA and all other USAGM journalists. The firewall ensures that VOA can make the final decisions on what stories to cover, and how they are covered.
- Now that you know about the VOA mission, read this article on a controversy that developed under the Trump administration about the VOA’s independence (Links to an external site.). Then, read more about the threat to the VOA “firewall (Links to an external site.).”
- In your first post, do the following:
- First, please post a summary of what you think the controversy is and what the threat to VOA’s firewall was, making clear what you think is meant by a “firewall.
- In your post, also provide a link at least one article from a newspaper or news site that provides an update about the VOA now, briefly summarizing where the situation stands now.