large academic medical center H e a l t h M e d i c a l
- Identify the major concepts of selected nursing theories.
- Differentiate the components of the research process.
- Compare research methodologies.
- Explain the relationship between research, theory, and evidence-based practice.
- Propose an evidence-based solution aligned with an evidence-based practice question.
As a BSN prepared Registered Nurse in a large academic medical center, you have applied to serve on a research team. One of the roles of the research team within your institution is to develop innovative approaches that enhance client experience and improve health outcomes. You recognize that one way you can impact client care is by participating on this team and providing evidence-based recommendations regarding the policies and procedures within the organization. As part of the interview process, you are asked to prepare a presentation explaining the relationship between research, theory, and evidence-based practice.
Create a detailed presentation for the research team that includes the following information. Be sure to include the permalink to the article in your presentation.
- Locate a current research article that meets defined criteria including:
- Current, no more than 5 years old
- From a peer-reviewed, scholarly journal
- Relevant to clinical nursing practice
- Summarize the research design.
- Describe how the identified theory defines the four concepts of the nursing metaparadigm.
- Critically appraise the identified research study.
- Explain the relationship between the research, the theory used to guide the study, and an evidence-based practice recommendation that resulted from the research.
Research article selected meets all defined criteria, including: current, no more than 5 years old; from a peer-reviewed, scholarly journal; and relevant to clinical nursing practice.
Clearly stated, detailed summary of the research design, including: identification of the question that guided the study, a description of the methodology used for the research study; and identification of the theoretical framework used to guide the research.
Clearly stated, detailed description of how the identified theory defines the four concepts of the nursing metaparadigm, including: nursing; environment; person/client; and health.
Detailed critical appraisal of the identified research study, including: steps or elements of the study; strengths and limitations; and an evaluation of the credibility and meaning of the study findings.
Clearly stated, detailed explanation of the relationship between the selected research study, the theory used to guide the study, and an evidence-based practice recommendation that resulted from the research.