know · individualized instruction versus differentiated instruction · H u m a n i t i e s
Differentiating instruction to meet the needs of all students in the classroom should be part of every teacher’s instructional strategy. There are many techniques that can be used to modify instruction and accommodate for students’ needs, and knowledge about evidence-based practices for doing so should be used when making decisions about instruction. The use of Response to Intervention (RTI) programs and a multitier system of support (MTSS) to establish programs that meet the varied needs of students in one setting are commonly used strategies for differentiation. Additionally, Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is a framework to guide these types of evidence-based instructional deliveries and practices. Data from tiered support systems such as RTI and MTSS can be used to steer the UDL framework.
Imagine that you have been asked to create an informational digital presentation about Universal Design for Learning approaches that can be used by special education and general education teachers in the grade levels associated with your field of study.
Refer to “The UDL Guidelines,” the topic Resources, and your research to create an 8-10 slide digital presentation that addresses the following:
Explain how applying UDL principles in the educational setting can address the needs of all students, including students with disabilities.
Describe the UDL guidelines of engagement, representation, action, and expression.
Describe three specific, evidence-based UDL instructional approaches or adaptations that teachers could utilize to enhance the success and promote the growth and development of students with and without disabilities.
- Discuss how UDL and the use of evidence-based strategies can influence and be used to improve professional practice and student outcomes. Provide specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
This week’s assignments:
1. Universal Design for Learning Approaches – digital presentation
a. Use Powerpoint
b. Make sure you have detailed slide notes under each slide (these are you script of what you would say to your audience about each slide)
c. Make sure you cite and cite on each slide.
2. Discussion Posts 1 and 2 plus Participation.
· MTSS: What you need to know
· Individualized Instruction versus differentiated Instruction
· What is MTSS?
· The Essential components of RTI
· Exceptional Learners: An Introduction to Special Education Chapters 5 and 6.
· What does a Child Study Team Evaluation Mean for Your Child?
· UDL at a Glance
· Modifications vs Accommodations: Difference and Examples
· Differentiated Instruction: Maximizing the Learning of All Students
· RTI (Part 1)
· Evaluating Problem-Solving teams in K-12 schools: Do they work?
· Accommodations vs Modifications
· The UDL Guidelines