killing language … jk !!” H u m a n i t i e s
I don’t understand this English question and need help to study.
To help us with the materials we have covered over the last two weeks, we shall be discussing as a group the materials from Week 8 and 9.
As a reminder here is the list of materials, we covered for Week 8 and 9:
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | “The Danger of a Single Story”
- John McWhorter | “Txting is Killing Language…JK!!”
- Jose Antonio Vargas | “Defining American”
- Katelynn Duggins | “To Code Switch or Not to Code Switch? That is the Question.”
- Lera Boroditsky | “How Language Shapes the Way We Think”
- Manuel Muñoz | “Leave Your Name at the Border”
- Matt Thompson | “Five Reasons Why People Code Switch”
- Mireya S. Vela | “Privilege”
- Omar Sakr | “My First & Second Language”
- PBS | “Should We Keep Eating Soul Food?”(Say It Loud)
- PBS | “Sweetheart Dancers”
After you have reviewed your notes/annotations on the videos and readings for this week, respond to the following questions:
- How did you feel reading through the articles and watching the videos? Were they easy or hard to read/watch? What did you like/dislike about them? What, if any, connections can you make between the experiences of the authors and speakers and your own experiences? (This answer should cover all sources for the week.)
- Share at least two points that stood out to you from the materials we’ve covered in Week 8 and 9?
- What was your favorite reading that we read during Weeks 8 and 9? Why did you connect with it so much?
- What was your favorite video that we watched during Weeks 8 and 9? Why did you connect with it so much?
- What was your biggest A-HA moment or takeaway? (This can be from any of the sources or involve all of them.)