held jobs requiring “ emotional labor ?” W r i t i n g
Bonus points: Discussion board postings: Students who post their original responses to the discussion boardprompts at least a day before the due date, will earn 2bonus points per discussion board.
Take advantage of this! These points will be tallied for a maximum of 2% bonus for the course.
Check out these stats: https:// (Links to an external site.)
work place violence in hospitals
Write: Separate out your responses to each prompt into a separate paragraphs.
1. Chapter 15: Recall from the chapter the discussion of “emotional labor,” which sociologist Arlie Hochschild suggests is a characteristic of the modern service economy. Emotional labor is, in a sense, the new physical labor – sold for a wage, used for a company’s profit, and perhaps a source of alienation and exploitation. Think about jobs you have held or currently hold . Have any of you held jobs requiring “emotional labor?” Do you think that emotional labor has intensified in service economy since the reopening during the pandemic? Why or why not? Give an example of what that might look like so we can understand your experience. (2 points)
2. After reviewing the discussion power point material and chapters 15 and 16 think about the following issues:
- growth of the service sector jobs, and gig economy, that may not offer health insurance.
- About 30 million Americans do not have health insurance
- African Americans and Hispanic Americans have persistently lower access to health care insurance and BIPOC are more likely to experience disparities in care.
Considering these issues, what kind of health care model (think about material from Chapter 16) would you implement to address this issue? Give a rationale for your choice using the material from the chapters and the readings/video. (2 points)
3. After watching the videos and the power point, how should the safety and mental health of health care workers be addressed? (2 points)
4. Pose a question to other students. (1 point)