government food assistance programs like calfresh H u m a n i t i e s
This activity will help you develop your thesis for Essay 2 and help generate some content for the body paragraphs. It will also give you some guidance for your research.
- Scroll down the screen until you find your topic.
- Once you find the list for your topic, copy and paste the list into a Word or Google Docs document.
- Then brainstorm for solutions to at least 4-5 problems on the list. Feel free to add additional problems to the list that you have personally experienced or observed.
- When you brainstorm for solutions, use your own ideas and do not research yet. Use your own logic and creativity; this way, your ideas will end up dominating the essay, and you will get the opportunity to work at the highest level of learning: the “create” level.
5.) Then revise your thesis by adding the 4-5 solutions that you came up with.
Example Thesis (for Topic 2): Sit-down restaurants, like the Old Town Mexican Cafe where I work, could reduce food waste by keeping track of the food wasted, offering different size portions, repurposing food that would have been thrown in the trash, and starting a program to donate uneaten food and wrong orders to help people who are food insecure.
Topic 1: Food Insecurity Problem for College Students
- Problem: Food-insecure students feel ashamed to ask for help.
- Problem: Students are afraid people will judge them for using the campus food pantry; there is a stigma associated with using a food pantry.
- Problem: Applying for government food assistance programs like CalFresh and California’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is overwhelming for students.
- Problem: Students do not know about the food pantry or other support services for food insecurity.
- Problem: Food pantries need more partnerships with community organizations and business to support the service.
- Problem: Rates of basic needs insecurity were highest for students who were financially independent from their parents or guardians, identified as LGBTQ or were racial or ethnic minorities.
- Problem at Grossmont College: Grossmont’s food pantry has limited hours.
- Problem at Grossmont College: Students can use Grossmont’s food pantry only once a week.
- Problem at Grossmont College: Grossmont’s food pantry is small and can only hold so many donations.
- Problem at Grossmont College: Grossmont’s food pantry relies on donations which might not always be reliable or steady.
- Problem at Grossmont College: Grossmont’s food pantry does not get food donations from the campus cafeteria.
- Problem at Grossmont College: Grossmont’s food pantry can only accept non-perishable items, so no fresh produce, meat, dairy can be accepted.
Revised Thesis (the topic you are writing about and a list of 4-5 of your solutions for the problem you are writing about. Refer to the sample above):
Topic 2: Food Wast Problem in Restaurants/Food Service
- Problem: Mishandling of food (like overcooking it or making the wrong order) causes waste.
- Problem: The unwanted parts trimmed from food (like potato skins or broccoli stalks) create waste.
- Problem: Making too much food causes waste.
- Problem: When food doesn’t sell within a certain time limit, it is thrown out.
Place this order or similar order and get an amazing discount. USE Discount code “GET20” for 20% discount