first 5 california cook book download first 5 california cook book first five california website W r i t i n g
School officials in your area want to educate parents on healthy
eating habits and help give them ideas for a sample menu. You are a
teacher who has been asked by your director/principal to come up with a
one-week menu that would include nutritious foods and be delicious for
the children to eat. The menu submitted will be sent home to help
promote healthy eating habits. You will plan a menu for a period of 5
days for either infants (5-12 months) toddlers, preschool, or elementary
school (Kindergarten -5th grade children). Make sure that the food you include are appropriate for the age group you select. Please do not copy and past menus from the internet.
Be creative with the food that you plan.. You can include pictures and make your menu eye catching for families.
Part 1: Menu (refer to chapters 12, 15, 16, 17 and 18 in the course textbook).
. Your menu must have the following:
1. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner.
2. Two different ethnic meals on any of the two days (snack doesn’t count).
3. Must meet the recommended food intake according to the different food groups.
4. Must include 5 days (Monday –Friday).
5. Menu must be visually interesting.
6. Meals must be easy to make for working families.
7. Food must be as healthy as possible. Avoid too much sugar, salt, and junk food.
8. One meal must be a vegetarian.
9. One meal must be vegan.
10. Consider children with common food allergies and offer alternatives.
Don’t forget to include water with every meal.
Part 2: Summary
1. What did you learn about children’s health and nutrition from this assignment?
2. What were some challenges of this assignment?
3. What are some meals or snacks you included that you think most children will enjoy?
Resources to help you with the assignment