fast runner “).. assignment descriptionthe self concept boxface B u s i n e s s F i n a n c e
THE SELF CONCEPT
The Self-Concept is a stable collection of beliefs about oneself. Generally, one’s self
The Self Concept Box
Face-Face, Hybrid, and Fully Online Classes
The Self Concept Box is an activity that we use to create opportunities for students to explore, understand, share information about how they see themselves. In the process, students generally learn a lot about themselves while having fun.
Please follow the instructions carefully, paying attention to the format of YOUR CLASS.
ASSIGNMENT: EVERYONE WILL DO THIS PART
This assignment is titled: The Self Concept Box: How do I see myself?
Self-Concept Box Activity
1. Select a container or box that reflects your personality.
a. You WILL explain your box/container of choice
b. You WILL explain why you chose that box/container
2. Select 5 tangibleitems that you wouldwant to use to represent you. These tangible items should be used to represent one of the following concepts:
a. An attitude
b. An idea
c. A belief
You are NOT be required to:
a. Find more than 5
b. Find anything that is outside of your common (daily) environments.
You may use ONE photograph only
a. You may NOT use your cell phones or other electronic devices
b. explain in detail the relationship between the item and your identified personality or characteristic trait(s).
c. explain how you feel about these traits and if/how you plan to improve on them or change them.
HOW DO I SUBMIT THIS ASSIGNMENT?
1. Hybrid and Face-Face classes:
a. This assignment is an oral presentation for you
2. Fully Online classes:
a. You will submit your summaries on Blackboard.
Hybrid classes: Presented at 2nd Face-Face meeting
Face-Face Students: Presented in class based on schedule
FULLY ONLINE CLASSES ONLY
You will complete the above exercise and then answer these questions:
a. What 5 items would you include in your box?
a) Why? Explain each item.
b) How did you go about selecting the items?
c) What have you learned about yourself in the process?
d) How did you feel about doing the assignment?
e) If you could include more than 5 items what else would you include? Why?
1. Hybrid Only: Oral Presentation: You will be graded just as you would for any other public speaking activity. Evaluation form will be provided.
2. Fully online Class will be graded using the Personal Narrative Rubric. See Below
Summaries are graded for grammar, spelling, and expression of ideas. If an idea is in your head you must be able to get it from your head onto the paper. See Rubric in Syllabus.
For this assignment here are some definitions that you may find helpful:
1. “Box” means: anything that can hold things in it —-a container! (Please DO NOT overthink this!). You may use any container you like, EXCEPT the following:
a. your book bag
b. a plastic shopping bag
2. Connect means: how you see yourselves through these items and the meaning that these items have for you.
3. Items mean: Anything in your personal domain that you find connection to, and that you would want to use to explain how you see yourselves. You may use any item you like, but EXCEPT the following:
a. Cell Phones, Ipads or any other electronic devices
b. Pictures can be used but ONLY ONE picture is allowed.
The self-concept box is a reflection of your personality trait or characteristics. You DO NOT need to ask anyone about this. You are the person identifying YOUR traits and characteristics.
1. READ everything and understand everything herebeforeemailing me to say you do not understand.
2. When you email me, please have very specific questions to ask, instead of saying “I don’t
understand the assignment.”
3. Assignments must be typed
4. Summaries will be submitted in class before your presentations.
QUALITY OF WORK
This class has a very high standard when it comes to quality of work that students produce. If you do C-Quality work please DO NOT EXPECT to get A-Quality grade.
In order to do well in this class, all your written work require the following:
a) Writing that indicates college-level understanding and reproduction
b) In addition, all your work must satisfy the following criteria:
a. Work must be detailed
Detailed means that all your work must have supporting evidence
1. Just barely answering a question with no supporting evidence will get you, at best, a grade of D for this assignment.
a. LET ME REPEAT THIS: SIMPLY ANSWERING A QUESTION WITH NO FUTHER THOUGHT BEHIND IT, WILL NOT NET YOU A GOOD GRADE.
b. Work must be Research-based.
i. Your ideas are fantastic but academic work must be grounded in Research.
1. Use the internet to find the Research to support your work.
c. Work must include examples
i. Examples demonstrate understanding and application.
1. Simply stating a fact and not providing an example will not get you a good grade.
2. Once you can use the language of the discipline and accurately apply the information to situations/scenarios, then that demonstrates understand of the material.
ASSUME THAT EVERY QUESTION THAT YOU ARE ASKED, REQUIRES SOME RESEARCH. This is true for work that you are writing about personal experiences as well.
Question: Discuss a conflict issue that you are having with someone close to you.
a. A good answer includes a definition of the wordconflict.
b. A good answer includes research about what is written about how people who are close to us behave
c. A good answer then, narrows down the above to your specific issue.
d. This way, you will demonstrate a complete understanding of the concept.