effective learning environment spanning many countries B u s i n e s s F i n a n c e
Write a 250–500-word analysis of the feasibility and effectiveness of outsourcing legal services to another country.
Many business processes and services can be outsourced to other countries. The success of such ventures depends upon the ability of business managers to evaluate the feasibility and effectiveness of outsourcing any particular processes or services.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Analyze cultural communications that affect international business.
- Evaluate the practice of outsourcing in terms of cross-cultural communication.
- Competency 2: Evaluate patterns of global organizational structure and hierarchies.
- Determine the driving force behind outsourcing business processes and services.
- Identify business processes and services that are good candidates for outsourcing.
ContextDuring the latter part of the 20th century and continuing into the 21st century, one of the dominant themes in business has been globalization. Advances in technology are undoubtedly a significant factor in enabling globalization, such as the ability for business managers around the world to communicate instantly and effectively using voice, text, and even video. The Internet and associated software and hardware have also had a dramatic impact on that, allowing documents, databases, and a wide range of information to be shared without concern for time or geographic boundaries. Capella courses are prominent examples of that, with faculty, learners, and staff all involved in providing an efficient and effective learning environment spanning many countries. The manufacturing sector is another prominent example of globalization, such as the manufacturing and assembly operations of automobile manufacturers spanning international boundaries.SHOW LESSCertainly some would say globalization has provided many benefits to businesses and people interested in obtaining associated products and services. But at the same time, globalization has created significant controversies and challenges. For example, governments throughout the world are now finding it difficult to define and interpret the modern business world as related to historical “made in X” (X being some country) guidelines or laws. At the very least, such definitions are often lengthy and complex these days.One of the most intriguing (and likely challenging) issues facing business at present is the topic of cross-cultural differences related to globalization. What’s considered perfectly acceptable in one country might be considered inappropriate or even illegal in a different country. And at a more subtle level, topics such as how managerial decisions are discussed, negotiated, and approved within an international business environment can have significant cultural dimensions. Some countries have a highly participative culture, where a fairly large group of managers will be involved in considering some issue. Others might have a more centralized decision-making culture, whereby the senior manager involved has the responsibility for making relevant decisions.
- Competency 3: Analyze the role of international business culture in the negotiation process.
- Determine the feasibility of outsourcing in terms of cross-cultural organizational structures and hierarchies.
- Identify the most significant issues business managers should consider when determining whether to outsource business processes and services.
Questions to Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.Using your own international business experience, reflect on the following:
- What challenges might manager faces if they are unable to speak the language of a country in which they are involved?
- What attributes do you believe successful global managers should possess?