- What type of organization is this advertisement for?
- What is the purpose of this ad? What crisis or situation is it alluding to?
- What is the narrative of the ad?
- Who is the target audience here?
- What emotional drivers, methods and techniques are used to connect with the audience?
- What insights may have informed the creation of this ad?
- Do you think the ad is effective? Why or why not?
Read Chapters 1 & 2 of Ogilvy on Advertising and answer the questions below, using specific examples from the text:
- How is advertising a “medium of information”? What information?
- Do you think Ogilvy’s advertising techniques still apply to a world where Television Advertising may no longer be the primary medium for selling products? Why or why not?
- What are Ogilvy’s steps to produce “advertising that sells”?
- How does Ogilvy describe the functions of Consumer Research?
- What is “positioning” according to the author? What other definitions of positioning have we used in class?
- What factors contribute to a Brand’s Image? Provide an example.
- Why do some people choose Jack Daniels over brands like Grand Dad, Taylor or Old Crow?
- Where do Big Ideas come from, according to Ogilvy? What are some ways you, personally, land on Big Ideas?
- What are “Parity Products” and how does one sell them successfully?
- Do you agree or disagree with Ogilvy’s assertion that advertisers should strive to portray their product as not “superior”, but instead as “positively good”. Why or why not?
- What are some examples of the factors or insights from research (the triggers which make people read advertisements) Ogilvy lists which he says “work” in advertising?
- “If it doesn’t sell, it isn’t creative.” Why does Ogilvy agree with this statement? Why would you agree or disagree?
- How should advertisers decide whether to use nudity and sexuality in advertising? What are some examples Ogilvy gives of successful and unsuccessful campaigns?
Create a visual advertisement for yourself as a product or brand. This could be anything from a billboard ad, magazine ad, social media ad, commercial, influencer ad, etc. Your choice of medium or platform. Get creative! Then, answer the following.
Explain your ad:
- Who is the target audience? Why did you choose this one?
- What is the messaging and positioning of your ad?
- What is the value proposition you’re trying to communicate?
- What is the Brand Personality and how is it communicated?
- What are the emotional drivers used? Why?
- What insights from trends and research that informed your advertisement?
- Why did you choose this medium/platform for your advertisement?
- Why do you think this advertisement would appeal to your target market?