american schools regarding individual choices maintaining modern day segregation H u m a n i t i e s
Discussion 6 Topics Family and Education (Chapters 11 and 12
zoom lectures ( two parts)
Power point: attached below
The Atlantic article Stay at home Dads
Polyamorous Relationship Legal Status Massachusetts.
Finland education system(about 8 minutes)Why Finland’s schools outperform most others across the developed world | 7.30 (Links to an external site.)
Listen to the interview and Read:
Ask a family member, who identifies as male, if they would choose to be a stay at home parent. Why or why not? (If a male family member is, or was a stay at home parent, what was the reason and what is their perspective?)
Write: Separate out your responses to each prompt into a separate paragraphs.
- Family topic: Share your findings on stay at home fathers and give your perspective given the article. What do you think about the topic? (2 point)
- What is your perspective on the benefits and/or challenges of legal status of polyamorous relationships and tri-parenting in raising a family? (1 point)
- Education topic: After watching the Finland video, watching the Looonnng zoom lecture (sorry!), and listening to and reading KQED Terry Gross’s interview with Nikole Hannah-Jones, what is your thinking regarding parental choice for schools in America (to get better schools for their kids) in comparison to children going to schools in Finland? Think about what Hannah Jones noted about her experiences and research in American schools regarding individual choices maintaining modern day segregation in schools. (3 points)
- Ask a question of your fellow students. (1 point)
- Respond to and comment on 3 other students’ posts. (3 points)