Unit 4 DB: What Makes Teams Successful? (MGT105 Principles of Management)
Research a team that you consider successful. It could be a sports or project team that you were a part of, a professional sports team, or a business team. You MUST cite the team you’ve researched in your post.
- First, describe what made the team effective making connections to this week’s reading materials.
- Did your team have some, or all of the key characteristics of effective teams covered in your reading? Provide examples of those shown, and reasons you believe for those not shown.
- Describe the processes the team set goals and choose its members.
- Do you think the team’s success depended on these processes?
- Why or why not?
Debate with your classmates whether the dynastic cycle is unique to China or can it be connected to other civilizations throughout history. Do you believe that Sassanid Persia or Gupta India represent a form of the Dynastic Cycle as evidenced in Chinese history? Make sure to include specific examples to support your position. When responding to classmates, provide new, additional research to support or disprove their position. Make sure to use proper APA format for all citations provided and include a reference list for the citations you use.
Discuss with your classmates the influence of China on the political and religious development of Japan during the first millennium CE. Debate which influences you believe to be the most important in shaping the culture of Japan. In your debate, explain if this influence had a positive or negative effect on Japan’s development and society. Make sure to provide specific examples to support your position. When responding to your classmates, include new, additional research to support or disprove their position. Make sure to use proper APA format for all citations provided and include a reference list for the citations you use.
Unit 4 Discussion: Pricing Strategies (MKT200 – Principles of Marketing)
Typically, a business owner can choose from a variety of pricing strategies. The choice of strategy depends on information gathered during analysis of the internal (costs & profits) and external environments of the venture:
Simulated Business Scenario
Avery is a business coach serving clients with small to medium sized businesses in a variety of marketplaces.
Avery is preparing for an initial meeting with a potential new client, Manny. Manny operates a small traditional shoe store in Tuscaloosa, Michigan with a population of 125,000. As Avery conducted her research, she quickly learns that the business has been in operation since Manny’s
father opened the doors in 1969. The success of the business was based on excellent customer service.
At an early age, Manny learned a simple 2-stage business philosophy:
- Rule #1. The customer is always right
- Rule #2. Re-Read Rule #1
Manny took over the business in 2011, and since then, eCommerce has been eating away at sales volume and
profits. He has longstanding relationships with 3 generations of Tuscaloosians but he is losing market share to local discounters and online sellers like Amazon, The Real Real, and eBay.
During the initial consultation, and considering his excellent customer policies, Manny insists that his only option is to revamp his pricing strategies. He informs Avery that she will earn the consulting contract if she presents 3 separate pricing strategies for Manny’s consideration.
- What pricing strategies can Avery suggest to Manny in order to stop the decline in sales and regain lost market share?
- Other than price, what other strategies can Avery suggest to Manny to regaimarket share?
Unit 4 Discussion: Alzheimer’s (PSY102 Fundamentals of Psychology II)
Alzheimer’s disease is a devastating illness characterized by memory loss. Read a current events or scientific journal article about Alzheimer’s disease.
- Share the findings with your classmates.
- Discuss the implications for expanding our knowledge about Alzheimer’s disease. You may include:
- How does Alzheimer’s disease affect the brain?
- What are some of the greatest challenges faced by Alzheimer’s patients and their families?
- What are some potential treatments for Alzheimer’s disease or strategies that slow memory decline?
Unit 4 DB: Critical Period for Language Development (PSY201 Child Development)
Do you believe there is a critical period for language development? Why or why not? In thinking about your response, consider at least two of the following:
- The case of Genie Wiley
- Deaf children who have their hearing restored by cochlear implants
- Recovery from brain injury to language areas
Based on your response, what advice would you give to parents/caregivers regarding promotion of language development in children?
You may also support your opinion with other relevant research findings of interest to you.