05 /… https :// www H u m a n i t i e s
Using your own experiences and any of the course materials, write an essay where you give advice to incoming students about how they can succeed in English 1. You should provide explanation for WHY the advice will help.
Your intended audience is incoming English 1 students. (Imagine that I will hand these out at the beginning of classes next semester).
- An “A” essay will illustrate:
- Clear attention to essay structure (thesis, body paragraphs, etc)
- Makes substantial and relevant reference to readings and assignments completed during the semester to help illustrate and support the thesis.
- Strong sentence construction (only minor issues).
- ASSIGNMENTS TO TALK ABOUT:
- DIAGNOSTIC ESSAY WHERE YOU TALK ABOUT WHAT WE HAVE DONE TO MAKE OUR SCHOOL OR COMMUNITY A BETTER PLACE
- LEARNING ABOUT RHETORICAL ANALYSIS
- HERE IS AN ESSAY WE READ ABOUT RHETORICAL ANALYSIS TALK ABOUT HOW WE READ THIS TO LEARN MORE ABOUT IT AND HOW WE USED IT TO WRITE ALL OUR ESSAYS IN THE CLASS
- TALK ABOUT THE FOLLOWING COMMENCEMENT SPEECHES WE READ IN THE CLASS:
- THE SECOND ESSAY WE WROTE WE USED ONE OF THE COMMENCEMENT SPEECHES TO identify the main argument, and write an essay that analyzes the rhetorical strategies used to persuade the audience of the main argument.
- THE NEXT ESSAY TO TALK ABOUT WAS CALLED ADVICE FOR OVERCOMING OBSTACLES: Your goal for this assignment is to write an essay that informs your audience about a specific problem they will likely encounter in the current moment, provide advice to help them address the problem, and persuade your audience to consider your advice.
- THE LAST ESSAY WE DID WAS CALLED AN American Research ESSAY WHERE YOUR primary objective for this paper will be to make a well informed, carefully considered contribution to an on-going conversation or debate about an argument that is prominent in American Culture in 2021.
- LASTLY TALK ABOUT HOW WE DID IN CLASS ASSIGNMENTS BEFORE EACH OF OUR ESSAYS TO HELP US UNDERSTAND THEM BETTER.